Aging In Place
HFHMM CAPABLE serves older adults who are experiencing challenges with Activities of Daily Living (ADL’s) by providing a more holistic approach to the idea of Aging In Place.
With the CAPABLE program, income qualified older adults have access to an Occupational Therapist and Registered Nurse, both of whom will conduct a series of visits in order to assist in the identification of challenges, setting of goals, and outlining of action plans for those goals. Within the parameters of the program, Habitat for Humanity is able to provide minor home modifications per the recommendation of the occupational therapist, which are geared toward improving independence.
• Be at least 65 years of age or older.
• Have difficulty with at least one Activity of Daily Living (ADL) (dressing, bathing, etc.) or difficulty with Instrumental Activities of Daily Living (IADL’s) (eg. Housework, meal preparation, taking medication as prescribed, etc.)
• Be a Montgomery Co. or Prince George’s Co. resident (applicant does not have to be the owner of the home, but the owner must be willing to sign all forms associated with the home modification piece of the program).
• Reside in a home currently covered by a homeowner’s insurance policy.
• Be income qualified (Income for the individual participant cannot exceed $41,050 per year)
*There is no minimum income needed to qualify*
You can download the application and flyer here:
Applications can be submitted any time. There is no deadline for this program.
Part of the application process will include a home audit to determine your home’s suitability for the program. Please note that homes with unsafe and/or unsanitary conditions may not be eligible for HFHMM’s services. Also, note that we may need to access key areas in your home to perform these services and, if we cannot safely access these areas due to significant clutter in your home or other reasons, you may not be eligible for services.
In order for your application to be considered complete, you must include:
• Income verification (paystubs, social security income etc. – at least for the last 3 months)
• Retirement, Pension, Annuity, SSI and other Social Security benefits may be verified with annual letter stating amount and frequency benefits for the year
• Proof of current homeowners insurance, which includes the address insured, and effective dates.
All applications and supporting documents should be mailed to:
Aging in Place Program
Habitat for Humanity Metro Maryland, Inc.
8380 Colesville Road, Suite 700
Silver Spring, MD 20910
If you have any questions or concerns about your eligibility, please feel free to reach out to:
Repair Client Coordinator
Habitat for Humanity Metro Maryland
301-990-0014 x 19
(Make sure to mention Aging In Place)