Working to influence policy decisions, change public opinion, and transform systems that lead to the creation and preservation of safe, decent, and affordable housing for all. Effective advocacy realigns power and promotes practical housing policy solutions.
Why HFHMM advocates…
It will take Habitat for Humanity affiliates 5,536 years to solve the current problem across the nation by building one house at a time all while 19 million people are paying more than 50% of their income on housing.
Through advocacy we promote legislative changes that can help thousands or even millions of people locally, across the nation and across the world live in safe, decent, and affordable shelter. Habitat for Humanity believes that it is vital to offer decent and affordable housing opportunities to all residents at every socioeconomic level. This belief helps to ensure diverse communities and equitable access to excellent healthcare, education, and transportation for all residents.
How you can Take Action:
- Join HFHMM’s Advocacy Ambassador email list serve to receive important local legislative updates and calls to action.
- Support the Montgomery Housing Alliance, a coalition of organizations focused on increasing the rate of preservation and development of affordable housing in Montgomery County.
- Talk to your friends, family, and neighbors about the importance of and need for affordable housing in our community.
- Spread the word on Social Media. Follow us on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.
- Help support legislation that helps all Americans by supporting Habitat’s work at the federal level. You can support federal calls to action, budget appropriation requests, and even attend Habitat on the Hill, Habitat’s annual legislative conference. Learn more today.
- Access to land lies at the heart of ending poverty – without land, there can be no housing and housing is the key to stability and opportunity. Solid Ground is a global advocacy campaign to improve access to land for shelter. By using your voice to improve access to safe and secure land, you can help create the foundation for better housing. Join Solid Ground today.
Our Advocacy in Action:
The Montgomery Housing Alliance recently hosted a County Executive Candidate Forum on Affordable Housing.
For more information please contact our Director of Program Services, Sarah Reddinger at Sarah.Reddinger@HabitatMM.org or 301-990-0014 ext. 27.